At the end of each January, ‘National Farmhouse breakfast week’ takes place. The theme “Shake Up Your Wake Up” aims to encourage consumers to re-think their morning routine and make time for breakfast.
Granola, packed with nuts, seeds and dried fruit, baked in maple and agave syrup is the perfect breakfast or brunch option, served with Natural yoghurt. Try our Development Chef’s recipe…
Makes about 1kg
350gm Rolled grain porridge (Code: 1446)
50g Spelt Grain (Code: 77047)
40g unblanched almonds, roughly chopped (Code: 8266)
40g unblanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped (Code: 9089)
40g flaked almonds (Code: 8734)
50g sunflower seeds (Code: 7873)
50g pumpkin seeds (Code: 4883)
25g sesame seeds (Code: 4948)
250ml maple and agave syrup (Code: 4370)
4 tbsp walnut oil (Code: 7085)
75g dried cranberries (Code: 5613)
75g chopped apricots (Code: 5587)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
- Line two large roasting-tins with baking-parchment Mix all the oats, grains,
nuts and seeds in a bowl.
- Gently heat the maple and agave syrup and oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Stir in the grain mixture and mix well until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Spread the cereal evenly and thinly over the parchment and bake for about 20 minutes, then turn up the temperature to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4, swapping the position of the trays in the oven, so that the cereal browns evenly. Cook for a further 10 minutes. You want a lovely golden toasted mixture.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Break up the granola into small chunks, add the dried fruit and mix well. This will keep for a fortnight in an airtight container. You can refresh it by putting it in a 160°C oven for 15 minutes or so.
Tip: To increase the calorie content for people in care, add more fruit and nuts such as bananas, figs or walnuts.